Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Insanity Workout Day 23: Stubborn is my Middle Name.

I am the type of person that has to find out the answers/outcome for myself. No matter if the outcome is good or could potentially be bad I still choose to find out for myself. I have never been the girl that believes in taking the lessons of others and applying them. I am sure I could have saved myself a few scares if I would have taken the advice of those who have gone before me but then again I wouldn't be me. Having a stubborn personality is part of my charm and has served me well in my profession. What I mean by that is I don't back down from a challenge where others might have tried and didn't succeed. I believe in accessing a problem with fresh eyes and then trying to solve what has been deemed unsolvable. Don't get me wrong I don't not have hundred percent success rate in this approach but I do feel that being able to tackle a challenge is seen as a valuable asset.

Source: parenting.com via Rachel on Pinterest
Now to sprinkle a little reality onto the joys of being stubborn girl. I do have to admit that having stubborn as my middle name has not been all rainbows, butterflies and pots of gold. I have acquired some bumps and bruises along the way. My dad loves to tell the story of when I was two and wouldn't put my toys in the toy box when he asked me to clean up. When asked to pick up my toys I promptly said no followed by the head shake mirroring my response. What next was a sequence of asking me to pick up my toys, me saying no and my father applying a firm spank to my bottom. This happened about four times before I gave in and decided maybe I should pick up my toys. Long story short, I picked up a toy, tears running down my face, went and gave my father a kiss and then placed the toy in the toy box. Now you can imagine if I was that stubborn at two years old I have only learned to dig my heels in deeper as I got older.


The Insanity workout for me is just another situation where I wanted to dig my heels in and not concede; however, given that my knee is throbbing it made digging in the heels more difficult. Don't get me wrong I still tried even through I had received warnings from my parents, friends, partner that maybe I should let it rest a little longer. But somewhere in my head I didn't want to go the rest of the week without moving forward conquering the challenge I had taken on. So, after three days of resting I decided I would give the old knee a test drive by doing the cardio abs and pure cardio videos. Within the first three minutes of the cardio abs video I knew that I was not going to be able to do the jogging, jumping and/or anything cardio without causing myself pain and possibly more injury. I did work though the rest of the abs video completing all the floor work so I could at least get some of my core workout. I then decided I would give Cardio Recovery a quick spin because it didn't involve the jumping. The mistake I made during this workout is that you are required to utilize your knee when doing squats, lunges and stretches. Again, being stubborn and not wanting to have to concede I gently pushed my way to the end of the routine.  This situation I believe we go down in the history books as a bruise caused by my own stubborn nature!


Source:  Pinterest
So where does that leave me? I must make the choice to do the right thing by my health and the safety of my knee. With that being said I am going to bow out gracefully from the Insanity Challenge. That is until I get a cleared doctors note; however, not knowing how long that will take it might mean that I will need to start from day one. I have an appointment with him tomorrow to understand the fate of my workout future. Until then I will continue down the path of making healthy food choices and perhaps exploring the possibilities of adding more random thoughts on my other blog page.  http://stateofpensiveness.blogspot.com/







No comments:

Post a Comment